Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Top 10 - 2014

My last post was in January 2013 (rip HXCWAX). It was my top 16 list of records from 2012. I had kind of considered this blog dead since. Not having an outlet created sort of a problem for me as there are few things I like more than making lists though.
Short story even shorter; I had to find an outlet for my best of 2014 list. 

An ultra quick summary of why this blog ran out in the sand....
I didn't feel like posting stuff that I wouldn't read myself if I came across it on another blog, so the posts got few and far between as I'm not the post creative person, nor am I a wordsmith. My studies became more intense and I started a record label (Ed. took over a defunct record label: Just Another Day Records) where I put out the first 7" in September by Perfect People (St. Louis, MO). This 7" is absolutely killer, but my word has no power here as I'm biased, so take it from my man Mike and his post about the release. New releases are coming in 2015. First one is already in the making. (I won't include the PP 7" in the list because of the aforementioned biased point of view, but it should definitely be in the top 10!)

2014 was an incredible year for hardcore. If you disagree then we probably don't share the same taste in music. Here is my top 10 for the year (LPs and 7"s combined).

1.
Band: Face The Rail
Title: Learning To Die
Format: LP
Label: Katorga Works
I didn't know this San Francisco-based band before KW put out this LP. I went to discogs to see if they had released anything prior to it which they had; One LP and one 7". Those I haven't consumed yet, as I am still working on this one. I think I play it once every second day at least. The fact that this is a 2014 release and not 1989-90 is beyond me. They've captured the sound perfectly and added their own touch. I really want to compare this to something, but it's so hard. I'm not sure if they've been inspired by the 80s post-punk scene in the UK, but one of the first bands that came to mind were The Chameleons (the guitars) and some 80s American hardcore, maybe in the youth crew-ish area, but not quite.
Listen to the track Heartbreak Kid
Buy the LP from Katorga Works.



2.
Band: Boston Strangler
Title: Fire
Format: LP
Label: Fun With Smack
This might be the most hyped band within my music-sphere right now. At first I thought the hype was purely based on the unavailability of info about them, the fact that no one knew anything about the first LP in terms of how many were pressed, where it could be obtained or anything. I'm fairly certain that this was not a strategic plan from the label or the band, but more due to just doing things in your own pace and really not caring about anything. The first LP was great, but I felt it didn't warrant the hype the band got. Fire cements Boston Strangler's position at the front of this kind of hardcore. It's sold out from the label, but a repress is in the works. Several distros still has it though. 

3. 
Band: S.H.I.T.
Title: Feeding Time
Format: 7"
Label: Static Shock Records
Man, I love S.H.I.T. I first heard their 2012 demo last year (where the title track Feeding Time first appeared). This is my favorite track and I had to wait for the third 7" before it was available on vinyl. This is the band's third 7" - they all came in 2014. I feel a little funny about putting a two-song 7" on a list and measuring it by the same standards as a full length, but who cares anyway...
Listen here. Buy here





4.
Band: Ajax
Title: Bleach for Breakfast
Format: 7"
Label: Even Worse Records (EU), Self released (US)
Ajax consist of members of Warthog, Creem and Nuclear Spring. This is the demo of the year and thankfully Nöel (Even Worse Rec.) pressed it on a 7". Mind that drumming!! On Dec. 9th the preorder for Ajax new 7" will go up on Katorga Works. Be ready. 
Listen to two tracks here.
Buy here (US) or here (EU)






5. 
Band: Long Knife
Title: Meditations on Self Destruction
Format: LP
Label: Self released.
This LP has only been available at the Long Knife/Forward US tour thus far, but will eventually be available for purchase by the internet people. I am lucky that I have good mates in my life that will pick up the stuff I can't myself because of around 4000 fucking miles. Anyway, this release is a great follow up to their debut LP from last year. 
Listen here.






6. 
Band: True Love
Title: New Young Gods
Format: 12"
Label: React! Records
I jumped on the TL wagon a bit late. I didn't know about their debut 7" put out by Mayfly Records last year before six months after its release. Fast forward to now where the True Love preorders have left the R! HQ (is this the fastest preorder yet from R!?). This release has it all for me. I love the artwork, I love the music and love the label. I cannot stop getting American Nightmare vibes and who could complain about that? 
Listen here. Buy here




7. 
Band: White Lung
Title: Deep Fantasy
Format: LP
Label: Domino (I think...)
I've always been a fan of Anne-Marie's drumming, and this record showcases her skills very well. Although a bit monotone, I think a lot of the credit for the the style of White Lung's music can be credited to her. This band is very interesting, especially live. 
Listen here







8. 
Band: Night Fever
Title: Vendetta
Format: LP
Label: Adult Crash Records
Second MLP by the kings of k-town hardcore. Although not as sick as their debut MLP New Blood, this is in the very same vein. I consider Night Fever as one of the best hardcore bands in Europe right now, maybe even in the whole world, and that has much to do with Salomon's skills as a vocalist and a frontman. If you can catch these guys live, do it!
Listen here. Buy here






9. 
Band: Protester
Title: S/t
Format: 7"
Label: Trash King Productions
DC Hardcore has really made a strong effort this year. Killer 7"s by Public Suicide, Pure Disgust and Protester. This is hardcore with the right amount of youth crew influences and the right amount of pissed, crappy youth attitude. 
"this recording blends the best of DC/Boston ’82 with Clevo/Seattle ’89 and a musical vocabulary that is enriched by, without being dulled by, all that has/is/will be punk."
Listen here. Buy here





10.
Band: Public Suicide
Title: S/t
Format: 7"
Label: Caught Up Records
The second entry of DC Hardcore. Public Suicide has been one of my favorite new hardcore bands since their cassette demo. It is a rager!
Listen here. Buy here







Honorable mentions:










No comments:

Post a Comment